This is a 9.0x3.7 photograph of several buildings in a valley surrounded by hills and trees. Title(s) by Carpenter, L (DIC/PMP).
Hill City P17 neg on file. 3.75x9 [stamp] Property of South Dakota State Historical Society Pierre, South Dakota Give photo credit to South Dakota State Historical Society. Overall view of Hill City, SD taken from a hill top east of town, looking almost due west just a slight bit north of west. Picture has to have been taken after 1891, the RR tracks are in, the Harney Peak Motel is completed and other items known to have been built during 1890 and 1891 are on location. Another ID used by local citizens which was built in 1894 is not in the pic, so it had to have been taken between 1892and 1894. At the far right, on top of the hill, with steps leading to it, is the Hill City School. The two story bldg. to the left and below the school, with the fancy front is the Miners Hall, owned by the Mine r's Equity Union and used for local events & dances. To the left of that the two story bldg. with the upstairs balcony is the Harney Peak Hotel. Further to the left, almost the center of the pic, is the McEachron bldg. The RR is very fairly visible in the right foreground. Donor: John J. Gerken 2/2/76
Image scanned by Reed, C using an Epson Expression 10,000 XL flatbed scanner. Scanned at 1,200 PPI,16-bit grayscale, with the Histogram output set to 9/247.
SD State Historical Society - Archives Department
eng [ISO 639-2]
JPeG set to medium compression, dimension sized to 640x480, resolution set at 30 dpi, watermark set to 15 percent.
It is the responsibility of anyone reproducing photographs from the State Archives collections to determine copyright holders and secure permissions accordingly. For further information visit http://history.sd.gov/archives/photouse.aspx